Endodontic Case Assessment
To our referring dentists, we want to extend our warmest thanks!
Advances in the understanding of endodontic pathosis, aseptic technique, and principles of canal preparation and obturation have led to significantly increased and predictable healing rates for endodontic treatment—95% and higher under ideal conditions (Salehrabi R, Rotstein I. J Endod. 2004 Dec;30(12):846-50). However, the treatment must be delivered in a predictable manner by the treating practitioner to optimize the healing potential.
The AAE has developed practical tools to help every dentist overcome case assessment pitfalls:
- Endodontic Case Difficulty Assessment Article (PDF File, 587KB)
This newsletter discusses endodontic treatment planning, case assessment and referral from a specialist’s perspective.
- Reading List (PDF File, 48KB)
A comprehensive list of references supporting the topic of case assessment and referral.
- AAE Case Difficulty Assessment Form and Guidelines (PDF File, 411KB)
The Assessment Form enables a practitioner to assign levels of difficulty to a particular case by assessing risk factors that may affect the outcome of treatment. The form may also be used to assist with referral decision making and record keeping.
- Educator’s Guide to Using the AAE Endodontic Case Difficulty Assessment Form (PDF File, 44KB)
This guide is designed to assist educators in teaching predoctoral dental students objective evaluation and decision-making skills in endodontics.
- Forging Effective Alliances for Quality Patient Care (PDF File, 127KB)
This article discusses the value of effective referral relationships.